Cliff Lumsdon Award of SSO
Awarded for Outstanding Achievement
in the sport of Marathon Solo Swimming
and for Meritorious Service
in Association with
SOLO SWIMS of ONTARIO Inc.
- The Cliff Lumsdon Award of Solo Swims of Ontario was instituted in 1993 in memory of Cliff Lumsdon who was one of Canada's most outstanding marathon swimmers and contributed so much to
the success of the swims of others.
- The award, when warranted, is presented at the Annual Awards ceremony of Solo Swims of Ontario which is typically held in November.
- Except for an exceptional circumstance (to be determined, when needed, by SSO), the DEADLINE for receipt of nominations by SSO is September 15.
- The funds to establish the plaque and support it for its first 17 years were donated in 1992 by Jack Ramsden - a founder of SSO and a Swim Master, Jack was a friend of Cliff and was closely
involved with many of Cliff's swims.
- To recognize the most outstanding and/or exceptional achievements in, or contributions to, solo marathon swimming in Ontario and to provide a vehicle for public recognition by the peers of those
- To honour the memory of the late Cliff Lumsdon, a world class swimmer and coach who contributed greatly to the sport of swimming and, in particular, to the promotion and development of
Factors Considered for The Award
- The recipient may be a Swimmer or Contributor who has made a significant achievement or contribution to the sport in association with SSO.
- A successful crossing of a major lake in, or bordering on, the province of Ontario. This definition may include Lake Simcoe and Georgian Bay, but does not include lakes, rivers, or other bodies of
water in other provinces or countries.
- The citation must involve a singular accomplishment of great noteworthiness, something unique which can distinguish the individual from all others.
- As a minimum, it should also be special in some sense.
- Outstanding recipients meet a number of these criteria, as both a Swimmer and Contributor, and so truly achieve the ideals set by Cliff Lumsdon.
- Examples of such achievements and contributions are shown below:
|A record distance or time for a distance on a recognized course.
||A contribution to marathon solo swimming with SSO in Ontario that made a singularly significant
impact on the development/organization of this sport.|
|Oldest or youngest swimmer for a particular crossing.
||The creation of incentives (e.g. an Awards scheme) to promote participation in open-water
swimming with SSO.|
|Multiple swims in the same year.
||Establishment, or significant development, of Safety regulations to improve the efficacy and
efficiency of SSO safety regulations.|
|Multiple continuous crossings (2-way, 3-way, etc.).
||Long-term meritorious service with SSO as a Board Member, Swim Master, Boat Captain or
|A unique stroke (Other than Front Crawl).
|Successful major crossing under unusual or challenging conditions.
Recipients of The Award
Cliff Lumsdon | Cliff Lumsdon Park and Plaque
Created: 20th September 2000
Last Updated: 27th February 2021